Friday, February 18, 2005

Center of Effort - A Definition

So, I guess I should begin by defiing some terms. I might as well start with defining the name of my soon-to-be-formed production company: Center of Effort. Basicall, it is a nautical term and is defined as follows:

center of effort (CE): a theoretical point on a boat's sail plan that represents the focus or center of the total forces of wind on the sails.

Click here for a good overview of how a sail's center of effort is determined.

Boat designers would often refer to the point on the sail in their designs with a simple notaion of two (or three) intersecting lines with a circle around the intersection. Using this as a design element, I've created a first pass at a logo. Of course, I'm no graphic designer, but this is rudimentary example of what I'm thinking:




Like I said, it's a first pass.

As a Christian, I really like what this symbolizes, both in its visual representation and in its definition. As a Christian, it is our never-ending strruggle to live our lives to the fullest potential for God's glory. Ephesians 2:1-10 is not only a beautiful picture of how Christ saved us, but also why He saved us. We were created to do good works for Him.

It's pretty exciting to know that I have a purpose in life. Alot of the world gets so hung up on finding the meaning of life, but for me, it has already been defined. And the concept of "center of effort," for me, is the seeking of that daily balance of working with my strength and God's direction to maximize His glory.

Visually, the crosshairs represent that Christ, and His work on the cross, is the foundation for all that we do. Anything that I endeavor to do that does not include extending His Cross of love to others is wasted effort. With that statement in mind, you probably have a pretty good indication what my personal mission is behind this production company.

Professionaly, "center of effort" needs to represent giving our best and, again, working within our talents to maximize our efforts. It is my desire to make films and media of the highest quality possible, utilizing every resource and magnify every potential.

So, you may be wondering what sort of films I plan on producing. Well... that is a good question. Stay tuned for another web log to tackle that theme...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We certainly need more media that will stimulate thinking about eternal things.

4:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is you company going to start? Have you made any other films?

5:04 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, the company officially starts as soon as I get funding for my project. The script is currently in development, and it is called "Voice on the Line."

It's a 44 minute short that I hope to take on the festival route, but with possible distribution in Family Christian bookstores and online.

It's a great film... Not overtly religious (I have a post coming about that in due time).

I've been working in the film industry for about 5 years producing and coordinating visual effects. I've always had the ultimate intention of making my own product.

5:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home